History of interventions on the Acropolis by YSMA
- Recording and extensive study of all the problems of the Acropolis monuments in collaboration with other scholarly foundations, such as the National Technical University of Athens, Centre for Nuclear Research “Demokritos”, the Institute for Geological and Metallurgical Research.
- Transfer of the pedimental statues of Kekrops and his Daughter and Kallirrhoe from the West pediment of the Parthenon to the Acropolis Museum.
- Temporary measures taken for protection of the monuments: roofing placed over the Porch of the Maidens and over the West Frieze of the Parthenon.
- Construction of a passageway for the circulation of visitors on the Propylaia-Parthenon axis.
- Initiation of the work of recording the scattered members on the Acropolis Rock.
- Work of restoring the Erechtheion begins.
- Caryatids transferred to the Acropolis Museum.
- The work of stabilizing the rocky slopes of the Acropolis hill begins.
- The work of consolidating the 2nd (from the S.) architrave block of the entablature of the Propylaia East Portico begins.
- A narthex is set in the NE corner of the Parthenon after the February earthquake.
- Consolidation of the 2nd (from S) architrave block of the entablature of the Propylaia East Portico completed.
- Installation of the Parthenon worksite begins.
- Installation of the Parthenon worksite finished.
- Beginning of the 1st anastelosis programme of the Parthenon (restoration of the East Façade).
- Beginning of work of surface conservation of the monuments in the Parthenon.
- Transfer of pedimental sculpture (heads of the horses of the chariot of Helios) from the Parthenon East Pediment to the Acropolis Museum.
- Work of restoration of the Erechtheion completed.
- Launching of programme for digital management of the documentation of the Works.
- Educational programmes begin.
Transfer of metopes from the East side of the Parthenon to the Acropolis Museum.
- Installation of the Propylaia worksite.
- Beginning of dismantling of the ceiling coffers of the Central Building and the East Portico of the Propylaia, which had been restored earlier.
- Completion of 1st Parthenon anastelosis programme (restoration of the East façade).
- Consolidation of the rocks of the slopes of the Acropolis hill completed.
- Restoration of the 5th column of the south side of the Parthenon.
- Completion of dismantling of the coffered ceilings of the Central Building of the Propylaia, which had been restored earlier.
- Digital indexing of the documentation of the restoration of the Erechtheion completed.
- Transfer of the Parthenon West Frieze to the Acropolis Museum begins.
- Transfer of the Parthenon West Frieze to the Acropolis Museum completed.
- Begin of dismantling of the sections of the side walls of the Parthenon cella that had been restored earlier.
- Begin of the structural restoration of the coffers and beams that have been dismantled from the Propylaia ceilings.
- Database for Documenting the Erechtheion Restoration programme.
- Work of restoration of the Parthenon Pronaos begins.
- Beginning of structural restoration of dismantled architectural members of the Parthenon Opisthonaos .
- Conservation of the surface of the Erechtheion begins.
- New programme of digital indexing of the documentation of the Acropolis Works initiated.
- Identification of scattered fragments of the Propylaia ceiling coffers completed.
- Consolidation in situ of the columns of the Parthenon Opisthonaos.
- Resetting of the first three courses of the side walls of the Parthenon cella begins.
- Transfer of the frieze of the temple of Athena Nike to the Acropolis Museum.
- Beginning of intervention on the south side of the East Portico of the Propylaia Central Building.
- Installation of the worksite of the Athena Nike temple.
- Work completed on stabilizing in situ the columns of the Parthenon Opisthonaos.
- Presidential Decree 97/1999 establishing the Acropolis Restoration Service (YSMA).
- The restoration of the temple of Athena Nike begins (dismantling of the temple is started).
- Beginning of the work of structural restoration of the blocks of the Parthenon west frieze.
- Improvement and refurbishment of worksite equipment for the Parthenon restoration (acquisition of machinery for cutting and working marble) - installation of the second construction crane to the north of the monument.
- Worksite equipment for the work of restoration of the Propylaia increased and extended (extension of offices -laboratories, installation of a new bridgecrane).
- Beginning of 2nd phase of the restoration work on the Parthenon Opisthonaos.
- Beginning of the restoration work on the north colonnade of the Parthenon.
- Restoration work on the south wall of the East Stoa of the Propylaia completed.
- Consolidation of the central lintel of the Propylaia completed.
- Installation of computer network between the worksites of the monuments and the YSMA central offices.
- Installation of the programme for digital documentation-indexing of the Acropolis restoration works at the worksites of the Acropolis monuments.
- Restoration of the ceiling of the central building of the Propylaia begins.
- Extension and improvement of the installations and mechanical equipment of the Parthenon worksite - installation of machine for cutting the flutes of the columns.
- Installation of metal grating for the protection of visitors to the central building of the Propylaia.
- Beginning of work of restoring the north wall of the Propylaia central building.
- Cleaning of the stones of the Parthenon west frieze begins.
- Website about the Acropolis Works on the link "Odysseus" of the Ministry of Culture.
- Installation of a new hoisting system (bridgecrane) in the worksite of the Athena Nike temple.
- Construction of a small metal building as part of the worksite of the Athena Nike temple, in the area of the Brauroneion.
- Design and Construction of a special machine for cutting flutes in the column drums, or fillings of drums in new marble, in the Parthenon worksite.
- Laying of new floor in the central passageway of the Propylaia.
- Acquisition and installation of a second mechanical pantograph in the Parthenon worksite.
- Work of Restoration of the Parthenon pronaos completed.
- Work of Restoration of the Parthenon opisthonaos completed.
- Conservation-sealing of the mediaeval stairway ("shell") in the Parthenon.
- Work of cleaning and conservation of the Parthenon west frieze completed.
- Restoration of the north wall of the central building and the east portico of the Propylaia completed.
- Conservation of the poros shrine in the basement space of the Athena Nike temple.
- Installation of flooring in the form of a stainless steel grid over the basement space beneath the temple of Athena Nike.
- Installation of lift on the north slope of the Acropolis for people with special needs.
- Acquisition and installation of suspended work platform for visual monitoring of the condition of the Acropolis circuit wall.
- Installation and initiation of instrumental monitoring of structural damage in the Acropolis circuit wall.
- Backfilling of the Arrephorion.
- Carving of an Ionic column capital in new marble completed, in the framework of the Propylaia restoration.
- Backfilling of the Arrephorion begins.
- Initiation of public opinion poll about the Acropolis restoration works.