Open call for the photographic action "The Acropolis: Focusing on the restoration"
Open call to participate in the photographic action entitled:
The Acropolis: Focusing on the restoration
Duration of entries: 9/9/2020-20/10/2020
The Committee for the Conservation of the Acropolis Monuments (ESMA), an interdisciplinary committee of the Ministry of Culture responsible for managing all contemporary interventions for the conservation and restoration of the Acropolis monuments, was founded in 1975. Since then, ESMA has been unceasingly working for the restoration of monuments considered internationally as being part of the World Cultural Heritage. The completion of 45 years since the beginning of the works on the Acropolis monuments is the occasion for announcing an open call for submitting photographs that portray, directly or indirectly, the interventions in the monuments.
Within these 45 years the restoration of the Erechtheion, the Propylaia and the temple of Athena Nike have been completed; at the same time large projects have been carried out on the Parthenon. These days the interventions focus on the pediment of the west side of the Parthenon, the walls of the Parthenon cella, and also on the Acropolis circuit walls.
The call aims to photographically depict the “daily life” of the Acropolis monuments in the last 45 years and select images that will compose a mosaic reflecting the visitors’ photographic gaze towards the monuments and the “imprinted” interventions in them.
Every submitted photograph should be accompanied by a short text (up to 70 words) explaining why the photographer took the specific shot: What led to that choice? What sparkled the interest of the photographer? What does the image mean for him/her? Even a small caption could be read as a small story, which, by revealing the interaction between the visitors and the Acropolis monuments, shows the different “realities” that are formed and experienced in the archaeological site. The photographic material and the stories that will be selected will be exhibited in a digital album where every interested party will have access. This album, despite being valuable and informative for documentation reasons, will constitute a place where ESMA and the public will converge.
Please read carefully the terms and conditions before submitting your proposals.
- Every participant can submit 1 to 5 photographs, colour or black and white, sent electronically as .jpg files.
- The largest dimension should be up to 5000 pixels in .jpg file, in the smallest compression.
- Every digital file should be identified with the photographer’s surname in Latin characters as shown: jpg, yourlastname_02.jpg, etc.
- The photographs must be sent to the address: email@example.com, together with the filled form that you can find here (One for every submitted photograph).
- In case a photograph has been selected for display either for an exhibition in a physical space or for being printed in a catalogue, then the participants will be notified for the printing of the photographs. The organisers of the call will cover the cost of the printing
- The terms and conditions of participation have been uploaded into YSMA’s website.
The final selection of the photographs that will be presented in the exhibition will be carried out by an evaluation committee appointed by ESMA.
For further information:
Acropolis Restoration Service: 210 3251620, 210 3243427 (Monday-Friday 12:00-15:00, Ms S. Poulou – Ms E. Petropoulou).