The property is located at Plaka, on the corner of 10 Polygnotou street and Vrysakiou. The south façade of the building is at Polygnotou street, whereas its west is at Vrysakiou street. The property is adjacent to the archaeological site of the ancient Agora. The land-surface is approximately 165sqm. The building consists of four levels (2nd basement, 1st basement, ground floor and first floor), it occupies a land-surface of around 100sqm and has a built-surface of around 380sqm. The entrance to the property is from the gate at Polygnotou street, while the entrance to the building is at its east side.

The property, former residence of Valathorou, was expropriated by the Ministry of Culture around 1960, and was signed away in 1975 to the Committee for the Conservation of the Acropolis Monuments (ESMA); since 1979 it houses the administration offices and the archive of the Acropolis Restoration Service (YSMA).

Slide the bar rignt-left to see the before and after of the building.

Initially the building, constructed before 1874, had its entrance at the west (Vrysakiou street) and included the levels of the basements and the ground floor. Later on, another floor and an entrance from the east were added, the facades were redeveloped by adding decorative elements and most likely the interiors of the building were redesigned. From January 1977 to February 1978 ESMA conducted restoration works and the construction of an extension on its NE corner.